10 Days Till Talks Means 10 Days to Condemnation
Israeli officials were uniformly “relieved” by the French government’s sabotage of the P5+1 nuclear deal with Iran, but with more talks just 10 days away, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is promising an intense lobbying campaign against diplomacy.
How they’re going to spread a general opposition to diplomacy into 10 solid days of narrative isn’t clear, but Jewish Home leader Naftali Bennett has promised to spearhead the lobbying effort with the US Congress.
Netanyahu, for his part, issued a call to arms for all Jews, everywhere, but particularly in North America, to unite behind him in opposing diplomacy with Iran.
Netanyahu tried to portray his opposition to diplomacy as a “matter of Jewish survival,” but while his anti-diplomacy slant has currency with his own right/far-right government, his assumption that he can snap his fingers and unite international Jewry against diplomacy seems very presumptuous, and with most of the world still hoping for a deal, Israel’s “no deal at all cost” position has many worried that the government is positioning itself well outside of the debate by being completely unreasonable.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Scottish Minister Reports Informal Talks on Staying in EU - June 27th, 2016
- UK Cabinet Minister: Second Brexit Vote Possible if EU Offers Better Deal - June 27th, 2016
- UK Labour Party Rebels, Corbyn Faces No-Confidence Vote - June 27th, 2016
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militias Reported Fighting Inside Fallujah - June 27th, 2016
- Eight Suicide Bombers Attack Lebanese Christian Village - June 27th, 2016