Key Israel Lobby the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) has announced over the weekend that there will be “no pause” in the imposition of new sanctions against Iran, saying will continue to demand more and more congressional resolutions.
The White House has been meeting with the “Jewish Quartet,” powerful lobbying groups, and Haaretz reported on Friday that the quartet had accepted a 60 day “pause” in public lobbying for new sanctions.
All four quartet members including AIPAC had previously disputed the report, saying no agreement had been made and that no commitment was given to the White House of any sort.
Congressional hawks have been pushing more sanctions, citing Israel’s demand for them as justification, and the strength of Israel’s lobbying power is expected to make a sanctions pause difficult.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrike Kills Eight in Eastern Syria - June 21st, 2018
- Japan Halts Missile Attack Drills After Trump-Kim Summit - June 21st, 2018
- North Korea Denuclearization Has Already Started, Says Trump - June 21st, 2018
- Trump: North Korea Has Returned Remains of 200 US War Dead - June 21st, 2018
- Report Warns Taliban's 'Parallel State' Still Rules Large Swathes of Afghanistan - June 21st, 2018