Key Israel Lobby the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) has announced over the weekend that there will be “no pause” in the imposition of new sanctions against Iran, saying will continue to demand more and more congressional resolutions.
The White House has been meeting with the “Jewish Quartet,” powerful lobbying groups, and Haaretz reported on Friday that the quartet had accepted a 60 day “pause” in public lobbying for new sanctions.
All four quartet members including AIPAC had previously disputed the report, saying no agreement had been made and that no commitment was given to the White House of any sort.
Congressional hawks have been pushing more sanctions, citing Israel’s demand for them as justification, and the strength of Israel’s lobbying power is expected to make a sanctions pause difficult.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- European Union 'Stands Ready to Act' Over US Sanctions on Russia - July 24th, 2017
- Hezbollah: Border Fighting Against Nusra Is Almost Won - July 24th, 2017
- Israel Removes Metal Detectors From Around al-Aqsa Mosque - July 24th, 2017
- Egypt's Sisi Vows Qatar Blockade Will Continue - July 24th, 2017
- US Blames Failed Missile Test on Sailor Pushing 'The Wrong Button' - July 24th, 2017