After glowing reviews for the last round of talks and big expectations for the next round between the P5+1 and Iran, beginning next week, surprisingly little attention was paid to the planned side-meeting in Vienna over the past two days.
The talks were supposed to center on shoring up some of the technical details of the wording of a potential final deal ahead of the upcoming talks, and ended at 3 pm local time today.
What came of the talks is anybody’s guess, as every single diplomatic involved in the negotiations refused any comment on the meeting, and hopes for a “preliminary” deal of some sort remain entirely speculative.
That is disappointing to those wondering about the talks, but is also perhaps unsurprising, as today’s meeting wasn’t intended to finalize anything, and officials have shown a reluctance to get into the sort of specifics that today’s talks were meant to cover publicly. The best hope for some insight is that there will be a leak in the coming days.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018