Abu Mohammed al-Jolani, the leader of the al-Qaeda run faction of Jabhat al-Nusra, was reported killed today in the Latakia Province. Details of his death have yet to emerge.
When Nusra split in half in the spring, half of the faction joined al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) while the other, Jolani-led faction pledge support directly to al-Qaeda’s parent organization. The group has referred to Jolani as the “emir” of the region.
The report on Jolani’s death came from Syria’s state media and has not been verified by rebel factions. Their report offered a location for his death, but nothing about how he was killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018