Abu Mohammed al-Jolani, the leader of the al-Qaeda run faction of Jabhat al-Nusra, was reported killed today in the Latakia Province. Details of his death have yet to emerge.
When Nusra split in half in the spring, half of the faction joined al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) while the other, Jolani-led faction pledge support directly to al-Qaeda’s parent organization. The group has referred to Jolani as the “emir” of the region.
The report on Jolani’s death came from Syria’s state media and has not been verified by rebel factions. Their report offered a location for his death, but nothing about how he was killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Civilians Leave ISIS-Area in Eastern Syria After Evacuation Deal - September 22nd, 2017
- Catalonia Closes Ranks as Outrage over Crackdown Grows - September 22nd, 2017
- Spanish Prosecutors Formally Accuse Catalan Separatists of Sedition - September 22nd, 2017
- Thousands More Spanish Police Arrive for Catalonia Crackdown - September 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Bomb Killed 16 Civilians in Yemen's Capital - September 22nd, 2017