Abu Mohammed al-Jolani, the leader of the al-Qaeda run faction of Jabhat al-Nusra, was reported killed today in the Latakia Province. Details of his death have yet to emerge.
When Nusra split in half in the spring, half of the faction joined al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) while the other, Jolani-led faction pledge support directly to al-Qaeda’s parent organization. The group has referred to Jolani as the “emir” of the region.
The report on Jolani’s death came from Syria’s state media and has not been verified by rebel factions. Their report offered a location for his death, but nothing about how he was killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis: ISIS Leader Baghdadi Still Alive - July 21st, 2017
- Syrian Jihadists Reach Truce Deal After Week of Infighting - July 21st, 2017
- North Korea Snubs South's Offer of Military Talks - July 21st, 2017
- US Withholds Money Owed to Pakistan Over Haqqani Network - July 21st, 2017
- Top US General Told Kurdish YPG to 'Change Its Brand' - July 21st, 2017