Abu Mohammed al-Jolani, the leader of the al-Qaeda run faction of Jabhat al-Nusra, was reported killed today in the Latakia Province. Details of his death have yet to emerge.
When Nusra split in half in the spring, half of the faction joined al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) while the other, Jolani-led faction pledge support directly to al-Qaeda’s parent organization. The group has referred to Jolani as the “emir” of the region.
The report on Jolani’s death came from Syria’s state media and has not been verified by rebel factions. Their report offered a location for his death, but nothing about how he was killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attacks Sinai Mosque, at Least 235 Killed - November 24th, 2017
- Afghan Farmers: US Airstrikes on Opium Labs Won't Work - November 23rd, 2017
- Ousted Catalan Ruling Party Backs Off Independence, Seeks Talks - November 23rd, 2017
- Report: Trump Revealed Israeli Operation in Syria to Russian Envoy - November 23rd, 2017
- Calm Returns to Luhansk as Enclave's President Flees to Moscow - November 23rd, 2017