Abu Mohammed al-Jolani, the leader of the al-Qaeda run faction of Jabhat al-Nusra, was reported killed today in the Latakia Province. Details of his death have yet to emerge.
When Nusra split in half in the spring, half of the faction joined al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) while the other, Jolani-led faction pledge support directly to al-Qaeda’s parent organization. The group has referred to Jolani as the “emir” of the region.
The report on Jolani’s death came from Syria’s state media and has not been verified by rebel factions. Their report offered a location for his death, but nothing about how he was killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- China Outraged at US Sanctions for Buying Russia Arms - September 21st, 2018
- Pentagon Hypes Taliban Body Counts to Try to Sell White House on Afghan War - September 20th, 2018
- South Yemen Separatists Vow to Continue Offensive Against Hodeidah Port - September 20th, 2018
- Kim, Moon End Inter-Korean Summit at Peak of Sacred North Korea Volcano - September 20th, 2018
- Kim Seeks Second Trump Summit to Speed Denuclearization - September 20th, 2018