Damascus is regularly a target of rebel attacks in the ongoing Syrian civil war, with regular mortar shelling and even suicide bombings the order of the day in even the highest security districts.
But until today, the rebels had avoided attacking the embassy district. This time, however, shelling hit the Russian Embassy in Damascus, wounding three people. None of the injuries are life-threatening, according to officials.
So far it is unclear which rebel faction was responsible for the attack, but several have threatened to target Russian interests to punish them for siding with the Syrian government in the ongoing war.
Syrian state media reported that the embassy remained open through the rest of the day in spite of the attack, and Russian officials would only say that they are considering ways to enhance security at the site.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Announces Plans for Massive Military Spending Hikes - August 16th, 2018
- Iraq Carries Out Airstrike Against ISIS 'Operations Room' in Syria - August 16th, 2018
- Senators to Resist Trump Plans to Cut Foreign Aid - August 16th, 2018
- As Costs Rise, Pentagon Announces Military Parade Postponed - August 16th, 2018
- US Threatens Further Turkey Sanctions if Pastor Not Freed Soon - August 16th, 2018