Damascus is regularly a target of rebel attacks in the ongoing Syrian civil war, with regular mortar shelling and even suicide bombings the order of the day in even the highest security districts.
But until today, the rebels had avoided attacking the embassy district. This time, however, shelling hit the Russian Embassy in Damascus, wounding three people. None of the injuries are life-threatening, according to officials.
So far it is unclear which rebel faction was responsible for the attack, but several have threatened to target Russian interests to punish them for siding with the Syrian government in the ongoing war.
Syrian state media reported that the embassy remained open through the rest of the day in spite of the attack, and Russian officials would only say that they are considering ways to enhance security at the site.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017