Damascus is regularly a target of rebel attacks in the ongoing Syrian civil war, with regular mortar shelling and even suicide bombings the order of the day in even the highest security districts.
But until today, the rebels had avoided attacking the embassy district. This time, however, shelling hit the Russian Embassy in Damascus, wounding three people. None of the injuries are life-threatening, according to officials.
So far it is unclear which rebel faction was responsible for the attack, but several have threatened to target Russian interests to punish them for siding with the Syrian government in the ongoing war.
Syrian state media reported that the embassy remained open through the rest of the day in spite of the attack, and Russian officials would only say that they are considering ways to enhance security at the site.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Tortured in Detention on US Soil, Qatari Man Maintains His Innocence - April 25th, 2018
- Chemical Inspectors Again Visit Syria's Douma, Collect More Samples - April 25th, 2018
- Russia Says Syria's New Air Defense Will Be Delivered Soon - April 25th, 2018
- Europeans Prepare Side-Deal to Try to Save Iran Nuclear Pact - April 25th, 2018
- Iran's President Rules Out Changes or Additions to Nuclear Deal - April 25th, 2018