Damascus is regularly a target of rebel attacks in the ongoing Syrian civil war, with regular mortar shelling and even suicide bombings the order of the day in even the highest security districts.
But until today, the rebels had avoided attacking the embassy district. This time, however, shelling hit the Russian Embassy in Damascus, wounding three people. None of the injuries are life-threatening, according to officials.
So far it is unclear which rebel faction was responsible for the attack, but several have threatened to target Russian interests to punish them for siding with the Syrian government in the ongoing war.
Syrian state media reported that the embassy remained open through the rest of the day in spite of the attack, and Russian officials would only say that they are considering ways to enhance security at the site.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018