US officials today blasted Arab nations for seeking to bring Israel’s nuclear weapons up at the IAEA, saying that singling out Israel as the only nuclear-armed nation in the region would harm the push to eliminate such arms in the region.
The Obama Administration had initially endorsed the idea of a nuclear-free Middle East, but has quickly backtracked on that position when it realized, apparently after the fact, that Israel is the only nation in the region with such weapons, and has ruled out giving them up. Since then Obama has endorsed Israel’s “right” to have such an arsenal.
IAEA chief Amano Yukiya says that the current situation appears unresolvable, and attempts to get Israel and the Arab nations of the region to agree on how to approach a nuclear-free region is a failure.
It’s not surprising, since the Arab position is that a nuclear-free Middle East means exactly what it said, and Israel’s position is that it’s outright impossible. These are not subtle differences, and there’s no real middle ground.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018