Foreign Minister Says Hopes US Will Stop Threats
Iranian officials have greeted the US-Russian deal on Syria’s chemical weapons disarmament with open praise, with parliamentary Speaker Ali Larijani saying it was an example of “US rationality.”
Iran’s new Foreign Minister Mohammad Zarif also cheered the deal, saying that he was glad that the apparent threat to military action against Syria has passed, while expressing hopes that it could spark trust-building between the two nations.
Iran’s new government has been pushing diplomacy with the US as a primary foreign policy goal, with President Hassan Rohani running on a platform of rapprochement and appointing reformists to his cabinet.
That the US is finally backing off the Syria war (more or less) has raised some hope that the US will be more reasonable in making a deal with Iran, but administration officials seem to be downplaying that so far.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- 15 Killed as Syrian Rebels Shell Aleppo Mosque - April 29th, 2016
- Russia: US Deployment of Troops to Syria a Violation of Sovereignty - April 29th, 2016
- Iran Asks UN Chief to Intervene on US Asset Seizure - April 29th, 2016
- US: North Korea Fails Two Missile Tests - April 28th, 2016
- Libya 'Unity Govt' Warns Factions Against Attacking ISIS City of Sirte - April 28th, 2016