President Obama says that he wants Congress to continue the process to authorize his planned war on Syria today, in spite of a disarmament plan that emerged earlier today which could lead to the full dismantling of Syria’s chemical arsenal.
Obama said he was “open” to the idea of putting the planned attack temporarily on hold if Assad transfers all chemical weapons, an idea proposed by Secretary of State John Kerry earlier today and accepted by both Russia and Syria.
Kerry has since informed Russia that the offer was not a sincere proposal, and multiple officials have said that there is no reason for the proposal’s acceptance to get in the way of Congress authorizing the war.
Yet clearly there is. The putative excuse for this attack was to scare the Assad government into not using chemical weapons in the future, and they obviously can’t if they don’t have such weapons.
Instead of taking a diplomatic victory, the administration seems to just want this plan to go away so they can get back to the important work of lying America into war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrike Killed 14 Civilians in Northern Afghanistan - July 20th, 2018
- US Adds Another $200 Million to Ukraine Military Aid - July 20th, 2018
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018