Opposition Large and Growing
Six different polls from six different outlets have come out today, showing that the broad opposition to an American attack on Syria is not only intact but actually growing in spite of a solid week of pro-war campaigning by the administration.
- ABC Poll: 64% Opposed, 30% Support
- Associated Press Poll: 61% Opposed, 26% Support
- CNN Poll: 59% Opposed, 39% Support
- NY Times Poll: 61% Opposed, 30% Support
- Pew Research: 63% Opposed, 28% Support
- USA Today: 63% Opposed, 28% Support
Last week’s polls had shown just over 50% opposed and in the upper-20% support, with the rest undecided. Today’s polls all seem to agree that the undecideds are falling, and they’re falling against the war.
The polls come from data taken over the weekend, and wouldn’t include any further opposition to the conflict that the Russo-Syrian offer of total chemical weapon disarmament is liable to have.
Public opposition has been seen driving Congressional opposition, and while a large portion of representatives remain officially on the fence, more than a majority has already come out against the war. With that opposition growing, there is little reason to think the remaining undecided will go the opposite direction, and the House defeat could be a monumental rebuke for the war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Senate Dems Declare Victory on Iran Deal, Reaching 34 Votes - September 2nd, 2015
- CIA Running Anti-ISIS Drone Campaign in Syria - September 1st, 2015
- Three Dead After Clashes at Ukraine Parliament - September 1st, 2015
- Libyan Military Bans Iranians, Yemenis, and Pakistanis From Country - September 1st, 2015
- Senate Dems Declare Victory on Iran Deal as More Back Pact - September 1st, 2015