Missiles Destroyed Home, Set Another on Fire
US drones attacked the Darga Mandi village in Pakistan’s North Waziristan Agency today, killing at least seven people and seriously wounding four others in the strike. None of the victims were identified.
The attack leveled the targeted house to the ground, and also set a nearby house on fire. It is the 20th distinct US drone strike against Pakistan so far in 2013.
Drone strikes have fueled massive anti-US sentiment nationwide in Pakistan, and dominated this year’s national election, which saw the relatively pro-US Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) ousted in favor of Nawaz Sharif, who promised to end the attacks.
This is the fifth attack since the election, and despite Secretary of State John Kerry’s claims that the strikes were nearing an end, there is no end in sight. The continued attacks are likely to put pressure on the Sharif government to act, as public demands to end them clearly haven’t impacted the US policy.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- The Lakkis Assassination and Israel's 'Kill List' - December 4th, 2013
- Pentagon Guidelines No Longer Ban Killing Civilians With Drones - December 4th, 2013
- Key Hezbollah Commander Assassinated in Beirut - December 4th, 2013
- Army General Defends $36 Million Afghan Headquarters Gaffe - December 4th, 2013
- Britain Courting Islamist Factions to Keep Syria War Going - December 4th, 2013