To hear the Obama Administration tell it, the whole world is on board with a war in Syria, and it is only Russian mean-spiritedness that is keeping the UN from endorsing the US attack.
Like the rest of the narrative, that position is on very shaky ground, however, as President Obama arrived for the G20 summit and faced myriad statements of opposition from around the world, including the European Union, the United Nations, and BRICS, as well as Russia and China.
Secretary of State John Kerry has been claiming a broad coalition of supporters for the war, but it’s becoming increasingly apparent that this secret coalition amounts to little more than Saudi Arabia and its satellites.
Even France, repeatedly presented as on board, is dramatically less-so than advertised. President Francois Hollande remains pro-war, but much as with Obama is finding some major opposition in its parliament, and could quickly be going down the British path of having to bail out in the face of that opposition.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018
- Koreans Hold Talks With UN on Demilitarizing the Border - October 17th, 2018
- Pentagon Exaggerates ISIS Foreign Fighter Estimates to Justify Staying in Syria - October 17th, 2018
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018