To hear the Obama Administration tell it, the whole world is on board with a war in Syria, and it is only Russian mean-spiritedness that is keeping the UN from endorsing the US attack.
Like the rest of the narrative, that position is on very shaky ground, however, as President Obama arrived for the G20 summit and faced myriad statements of opposition from around the world, including the European Union, the United Nations, and BRICS, as well as Russia and China.
Secretary of State John Kerry has been claiming a broad coalition of supporters for the war, but it’s becoming increasingly apparent that this secret coalition amounts to little more than Saudi Arabia and its satellites.
Even France, repeatedly presented as on board, is dramatically less-so than advertised. President Francois Hollande remains pro-war, but much as with Obama is finding some major opposition in its parliament, and could quickly be going down the British path of having to bail out in the face of that opposition.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017