Fighters with the al-Qaeda-run Jabhat al-Nusra faction continue their attacks on the Syrian Christian village of Maaloula today, after attacking yesterday and taking over a mountain-top hotel complex.
Still in control of the complex, the rebels are firing mortars at the village, as other fighters roam the streets on foot attacking Syrian military forces that have been sent to try to oust them.
Local civilians have remains indoors for the past two days, with St. Takla Convent being converted into temporary shelter for locals who had to flee their homes because of the shelling.
Al-Qaeda has accused Syria’s Christian minority of being “pro-Assad,” though as a practical matter they are simply averse to the Islamist-dominated rebels that are constantly attacking them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Declare ISIS 'Defeated' in Syria - March 23rd, 2019
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019