Palestinian officials say that they have cancelled a planned meeting, part of the nascent peace talks with Israel, after Israeli troops attacked a Palestinian refugee camp in the occupied West Bank.
According to Israeli officials, troops entered the camp to capture a “suspect,” but wound up killing three people and wounding 16 others. One of the slain, Younis Jahjouh, had previously been released by Israel in a prisoner exchange.
Israel presented the killings as self defense, claiming they retaliated against “rioters.” The use of live ammunition against bystanders, however, has witnesses saying that the troops clearly came with an intent to cause casualties.
A spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas criticized the attack, urging the US to get Israel back in line before the talks collapse entirely. The US hasn’t commented specifically on the demand, but denied the already confirmed reports of a cancelled meeting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-South Korea Spring War Games to Be Scaled Back This Year - March 21st, 2018
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018