Palestinian officials say that they have cancelled a planned meeting, part of the nascent peace talks with Israel, after Israeli troops attacked a Palestinian refugee camp in the occupied West Bank.
According to Israeli officials, troops entered the camp to capture a “suspect,” but wound up killing three people and wounding 16 others. One of the slain, Younis Jahjouh, had previously been released by Israel in a prisoner exchange.
Israel presented the killings as self defense, claiming they retaliated against “rioters.” The use of live ammunition against bystanders, however, has witnesses saying that the troops clearly came with an intent to cause casualties.
A spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas criticized the attack, urging the US to get Israel back in line before the talks collapse entirely. The US hasn’t commented specifically on the demand, but denied the already confirmed reports of a cancelled meeting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018