Secretary of State Leads Charge in Selling Americans on War
The US attacks on Syria could begin any day now, and the administration is hard at work selling the American public on the dubious narrative presented by the rebels as an excuse for war, with Secretary of State John Kerry leading the charge.
There’s no solid proof for the allegations of chemical weapon use by the Assad government, and the US is vigorously trying to keep the UN investigators from taking a serious look at the matter.
Rather, Kerry reiterated the story, noting that something happened in Syria and that Assad is known to have chemical weapons, and insisting that makes it “undeniable” that it was a chemical weapons attack, even though the experts say that the symptoms of chemical exposure shown in the rebels’ videos are not necessarily in keeping with the sorts of weapons Syria is known to have.
Still, this has never been so much about “proof” as about being officially convinced, and Kerry’s comments underscore that the US plans to attack very soon, with recent sources saying it could happen in the next two weeks.
Oddly, nobody seems to have told Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel about the plan, as Hagel today reiterated days-old talking points that the US is still looking at intelligence and hadn’t drawn any conclusions, even though everyone else in the administration is long past that point, and has set about trying to ridicule anyone who rejects their conclusion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Turkmen Rebels Killed One Russian Pilot, Russians Rescued the Other - November 25th, 2015
- US Troops Suspended Over Attacking Afghan Hospital - November 25th, 2015
- Syria Insurgents Destroy Russian Rescue Helicopter With US Missile - November 24th, 2015
- Russia Deploys Air Defenses to Syria-Turkey Border - November 24th, 2015
- NATO Envoys Urge Turkey to Show Restraint on Russian Planes - November 24th, 2015