The Israeli government has made it clear they want to loudly champion the Egyptian coup, using their considerable lobbying capabilities to press Western nations to stay on the junta’s side.
Arguing that human rights in Egypt are beside the point is one thing, but trying to make an actual proactive case for the policy isn’t so easy. Desperate for some excuse, Israel is trying to make funding the junta about the Palestinian peace talks.
Officials have reportedly warned the US that if the elected government of Egypt returns to power it would “pose a risk to the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks,” and that therefore the US needs to keep backing the junta in spite of ongoing massacres.
The best soundbite of the rather tortured effort came from an unnamed Israeli official who dubbed the junta and its backers the “axis of reason,” which needs to be supported at all costs.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018