According to numerous officials familiar with the situation, Afghan Attorney General Muhammad Isaaq Aloko has been fired from the nation’s cabinet after meeting with Taliban peace negotiators in the United Arab Emirates.
The Karzai government has been eager to keep the secret talks behind closed doors, and has sought to limit information about what is going on, or even if talks are ongoing.
Oddly, the firing is also something of a secret, with Karzai’s office not officially confirming it, despite several MPs saying it was the case. Aloko’s office denied that he was fired, insisting he was just out celebrating Independence Day.
Aloko has been Attorney General since 2008, and there has been no indication who will be replacing him.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Congress Reaches Deal on 'Sweeping' Russia Sanctions - July 22nd, 2017
- Mattis: ISIS Leader Baghdadi Still Alive - July 21st, 2017
- Syrian Jihadists Reach Truce Deal After Week of Infighting - July 21st, 2017
- North Korea Snubs South's Offer of Military Talks - July 21st, 2017
- US Withholds Money Owed to Pakistan Over Haqqani Network - July 21st, 2017