Car Bomb Tore Through Crowded Intersection
Another car bomb attack has torn through the mostly Christian Damascus suburb of Jaramana today, killing at least 18 people, including three children, and wounding scores of others.
The car bomb detonated in a crowded intersection of the suburb, setting a four-story building on fire and also destroying a nearby passenger bus. So far no specific rebel faction has claimed responsibility.
It’s a fair bet that it’s one of the Islamist-motivated factions, however, as they have shown particular interest in attacking Syria’s religious minorities, accusing them of being “pro-Assad” while simultaneously carrying out a campaign of violence that virtually guarantees that they would prefer Assad to the rebellion.
It was the larger of two blasts in the area around the Syrian capital today, as another bomb tore through the Yarmouk Refugee Camp just prior. So far the toll in that bombing remains unclear, and the camp remains contested.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Dismisses Obama Claim, Says They Were Always Ready for Nuke Cuts - January 19th, 2017
- US Stealth Bombers Kill Over 80 Alleged ISIS Fights in Libya Strikes - January 19th, 2017
- Officials Continue to Push Trump Into Retaining US Hostility Toward Russia - January 18th, 2017
- Germany Demands Trump Clarify His Foreign Policy Agenda - January 18th, 2017
- Syria Opposes Qatar, Saudi Arabia Participating in Peace Talks - January 18th, 2017