Rebel Fighters Retake Key Aleppo Town
Syrian rebels have retaken the strategically important town of Khan al-Assal in Aleppo Province, killing at least 150 Syrian troops in the process, according to internal reports from within the group.
A large number of the troops slain, more than 50 by rebel accounts, were actually captured and summarily executed, and rebels issued video footage of the rows of bodies of slain soldiers.
Exactly which rebel faction is responsible remains unclear, however, as a secular faction was the first to announce the offensive, and today’s videos attributed the executions to Jabhat al-Nusra, the al-Qaeda-linked faction.
The same town had previously fallen to Syrian troops in March, in heavy fighting which left over 200 people slain. The town was at the center of one of the alleged chemical weapons strikes in Syria,
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Marines Return to Afghanistan's Helmand Province - April 30th, 2017
- US Carrier Strike Group Arrives Off Korean Coast - April 29th, 2017
- Abbas Trying to Please Trump With Moves Against Hamas - April 28th, 2017
- US Deploys Troops in NE Syria as 'Buffer' Between Kurds, Turkey - April 28th, 2017
- Israel Announces Plan for 15,000 More Settlement Homes in East Jerusalem - April 28th, 2017