Rebel Fighters Retake Key Aleppo Town
Syrian rebels have retaken the strategically important town of Khan al-Assal in Aleppo Province, killing at least 150 Syrian troops in the process, according to internal reports from within the group.
A large number of the troops slain, more than 50 by rebel accounts, were actually captured and summarily executed, and rebels issued video footage of the rows of bodies of slain soldiers.
Exactly which rebel faction is responsible remains unclear, however, as a secular faction was the first to announce the offensive, and today’s videos attributed the executions to Jabhat al-Nusra, the al-Qaeda-linked faction.
The same town had previously fallen to Syrian troops in March, in heavy fighting which left over 200 people slain. The town was at the center of one of the alleged chemical weapons strikes in Syria,
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Spy Chief: Russia's Airstrikes 'Change Syria Calculus Completely' - February 9th, 2016
- ISIS Kills 10 in Suicide Bombing Against Damascus Police - February 9th, 2016
- US Intel Chief: 'Paranoid' Russia Pushing US Into Cold War Spiral - February 9th, 2016
- Iraq Claims Full Victory in Virtually-Destroyed Ramadi - February 9th, 2016
- Angling for NATO Bases, Poland Commits More Troops to Middle East - February 9th, 2016