Rebel Fighters Retake Key Aleppo Town
Syrian rebels have retaken the strategically important town of Khan al-Assal in Aleppo Province, killing at least 150 Syrian troops in the process, according to internal reports from within the group.
A large number of the troops slain, more than 50 by rebel accounts, were actually captured and summarily executed, and rebels issued video footage of the rows of bodies of slain soldiers.
Exactly which rebel faction is responsible remains unclear, however, as a secular faction was the first to announce the offensive, and today’s videos attributed the executions to Jabhat al-Nusra, the al-Qaeda-linked faction.
The same town had previously fallen to Syrian troops in March, in heavy fighting which left over 200 people slain. The town was at the center of one of the alleged chemical weapons strikes in Syria,
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- China May Be Pressing US to Talk with North Korea - February 21st, 2017
- Egypt Junta Aims to Restore Hamas Ties With Eye on Stabilizing Sinai - February 21st, 2017
- Israeli Officials Blame Obama for 2016 Peace Summit Failure - February 21st, 2017
- Turkey: 44 ISIS Fighters Killed in North Syria Operations - February 21st, 2017
- CIA Arms for Syrian Rebels Frozen Amid Infighting - February 21st, 2017