Hope that US whistleblower Edward Snowden would finally acquire the document relating to his pending asylum request, allowing him to leave the Moscow Airport, didn’t pan out today, and he remains in the international section.
Exactly what the holdup is remains unclear, and while he acquired a temporary certificate proving that the request is pending, it was evidently not the official document that he needs to get out.
Lawyer Anatoly Kucherena said that the delays were owing to the “uniqueness” of the situation, and did not indicate when the documents would be finalized. For now, however, Snowden remains stuck.
Wherever Snowden ends up, US officials insist it will be a “long-term” issue, as despite already getting several asylum offers, the Obama Administration intends to keep pressing Russia, and everyone else, to turn him over for prosecution.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017