Egyptian Major General Osama Askar has claimed that the military has captured multiple missiles that it believes belong to Palestinian faction Hamas, and has accused the group of “terrorizing” Egyptians.
Hamas enjoyed relatively good relations with the elected government of Egypt, and in the days before the military coup, the military deployed significant military forces to the Gaza border to prevent Hamas infiltration.
Maj. Gen. Askar accused Hamas of plotting attacks to “help the Muslim Brotherhood against the Egyptian people,” part of a growing effort by the new junta to portray the ousted government as “terrorists” for not immediately endorsing a coup against them.
Blaming Hamas also ensures continued Israeli support for the military operations in Sinai. Israel has embraced the offensive so far, but there are growing concerns that the offensive will lead to spillover against Israeli territory, especially with any such offensives by necessity coming with an Israeli imprimatur.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017
- Video Shows Six Minute Gunbattle in Which Jordan Guard Killed US Troops - July 25th, 2017