Insists Iran Getting Closer to 'Red Line'
Because it’s TV, and because it’s the only thing he cares to talk about at most of his public appearances, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu threatened to attack Iran today, insisting during an appearance on CBS that Iran is nearing the “red line” and must be stopped “before it’s too late.”
If any of this sounds familiar, it’s because Netanyahu issues essentially the same statement every few days, and his government has been predicting Iran would cross the “red line” they made up within six months, and reissuing that prediction every six months like clockwork.
Netanyahu also made a public point in his nominally private cabinet meeting today of demanding “more credible” threats for the US to attack Iran, and more international sanctions against Iran.
Though couched as a reaction to Iran, the nation hasn’t actually done anything new in the past six months, and with respect to nuclear weapons doesn’t appear to have done anything at all in several years. Netanyahu’s calls for more threats and sanctions, rather, appear to be tantamount to blackmail, demanding the US give in to his whims and threatening to start a huge regional war that the US would get sucked into if they don’t give in.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkish Deputy PM: Turkey Not in a War, Not Occupying Syria - August 29th, 2016
- Turkish Forces Seize More Villages in Northern Syria - August 29th, 2016
- ISIS Bombs Yemen Army Recruiter, Killing At Least 71 - August 29th, 2016
- Saudi Officials: Rocket Fire From Yemen Killed Two Children in Najran - August 28th, 2016
- Syrian Airstrikes Kill 24 Mourners at Aleppo Funeral - August 28th, 2016