Insists Iran Getting Closer to 'Red Line'
Because it’s TV, and because it’s the only thing he cares to talk about at most of his public appearances, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu threatened to attack Iran today, insisting during an appearance on CBS that Iran is nearing the “red line” and must be stopped “before it’s too late.”
If any of this sounds familiar, it’s because Netanyahu issues essentially the same statement every few days, and his government has been predicting Iran would cross the “red line” they made up within six months, and reissuing that prediction every six months like clockwork.
Netanyahu also made a public point in his nominally private cabinet meeting today of demanding “more credible” threats for the US to attack Iran, and more international sanctions against Iran.
Though couched as a reaction to Iran, the nation hasn’t actually done anything new in the past six months, and with respect to nuclear weapons doesn’t appear to have done anything at all in several years. Netanyahu’s calls for more threats and sanctions, rather, appear to be tantamount to blackmail, demanding the US give in to his whims and threatening to start a huge regional war that the US would get sucked into if they don’t give in.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 30 Killed as Missiles Hit East Ukraine Port City - January 24th, 2015
- US Terror Operations in Yemen 'Paralyzed' by Rebel Takeover - January 23rd, 2015
- US Officials on Netanyahu Visit: There Will Be a Price - January 23rd, 2015
- Pentagon Advocates Drone 'Wolf Packs': A Step Toward Killer AI? - January 23rd, 2015
- Iran FM: US Sanctions Vote Would Kill Nuclear Deal - January 23rd, 2015