Strikes Targeted Coastal Base in Latakia
Last Friday, a series of explosions tore through a coastal base in the Syrian port city of Latakia, destroying a cache of anti-ship missiles acquired from Russia. No one claimed responsibility at the time.
But US officials are now confirming that the attack was the result of a series of Israeli airstrikes against Latakia, the latest in a series of Israeli attacks against Syrian military targets.
The strike killed between 10 and 20 Syrian soldiers according to various reports from last weekend, and Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon hinted at responsibility, saying that Israel would be blamed for any attack in the Middle East anyhow, but not denying anything.
It’s the fourth confirmed Israeli attack on Syria in the past six months, though Israel hasn’t officially commented on any of them and seems contented to just strike at will and forget about it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Sen. Reid: $225 Million in Extra Israel War Aid 'Not Enough' - July 28th, 2014
- Israeli Military Confirms Nine Soldiers Killed Today in Gaza - July 28th, 2014
- Gaza Tunnels: Used in War, But Built for Economy - July 27th, 2014
- Netanyahu Vows 'Whatever Is Necessary' in Gaza Attacks - July 27th, 2014
- Obama Seeks to Dramatically Broaden US War on Terror - July 27th, 2014