Though there are still an awful lot of details to settle with Congress, the Obama Administration says that the plan is to start direct transfers of arms to Syrian rebels within a money.
The shipments will be going through the CIA, using the same route that they’ve already been using to smuggle weapons from other countries into the rebels’ hands. US weapons are en route and will be stored in Jordan awaiting the final go-ahead.
That might still require some more dealing with Congress, as Rep. Thomas Massie (R – KY) has introduced a bill blocking the president from unilaterally sending weapons to Syria.
Still and all, the Syrian rebels had been pushing for a rapid influx of weapons, demanding “heavy arms” be delivered by the end of this week. That clearly isn’t going to happen, and there seem to be a lot of stumbling blocks to meeting their goal of a month as well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018