Insist Arming Rebels No Longer Enough
President Obama’s intention to start sending weapons to the Syrian rebels is no longer enough, insisted three hawkish US Senators in an open letter (pdf) to the White House today.
In the letter, Sens. Bob Menendez (D – NJ), Carl Levin (D – MI), and John McCain (R – AZ) called for the US to launch “decisive” military attacks on Syria, including air strikes against several sites.
The assured Obama of broad “bipartisan support” for any military attacks launched against Syria, and insisted that if he really supported peace talks he should attack Syria first to make it easier to negotiate.
They went on to insist that the US had “national security interests” in imposing a settlement in Syria through military force, saying anything short of this would be a “victory” for Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Detains Sunni Women to Intimidate Families Into Opposing ISIS - July 22nd, 2014
- No Place Is Safe as Israel Pounds Civilian Areas in Gaza - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Envoy: Our Military Deserves Nobel Peace Prize for Not Killing More Gazans - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Attacks on Gaza Continue: 630 Palestinians, 31 Israelis Dead - July 22nd, 2014
- Iraqi Govt Barrel Bombs Kill 19 Civilians in Fallujah - July 22nd, 2014