Insist Arming Rebels No Longer Enough
President Obama’s intention to start sending weapons to the Syrian rebels is no longer enough, insisted three hawkish US Senators in an open letter (pdf) to the White House today.
In the letter, Sens. Bob Menendez (D – NJ), Carl Levin (D – MI), and John McCain (R – AZ) called for the US to launch “decisive” military attacks on Syria, including air strikes against several sites.
The assured Obama of broad “bipartisan support” for any military attacks launched against Syria, and insisted that if he really supported peace talks he should attack Syria first to make it easier to negotiate.
They went on to insist that the US had “national security interests” in imposing a settlement in Syria through military force, saying anything short of this would be a “victory” for Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Celebrations in Athens as Greece Rejects IMF Bailout Referendum - July 5th, 2015
- Syrian Troops, Hezbollah Attack Last Rebel City on Lebanon Border - July 5th, 2015
- On Tense Syrian Border, Turks See Troop Deployments a Mixed Blessing - July 5th, 2015
- Inquiry: US Troops Showed 'Admirable Restraint' in Not Massacring Afghan Civilians - July 5th, 2015
- In Video, ISIS Executes 25 Syrian Troops in Palmyra - July 5th, 2015