Our first taste of the ongoing military drill involving the US and Jordan came with the Pentagon sending a Patriot missile battery which may serve as the basis for a no-fly zone in the region.
Today the Associated Press is reporting that the drill is focused on ground operations, involving commandos from Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon practicing offensive operations, while trainees portraying Syrian refugees vowed to “free Syria.”
Jordanian army leadership insists the drill, officially dubbed “Eager Lion,” is entirely about bolstering defensive capabilities, and say that the offensive aspects are “routine.”
The timing of the operations, as well as revelations that the recent announcements on intervening in Syria was actually the result of a decision made weeks ago, ahead of the operation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Furious Trump Threatens Iranian President Will 'Suffer Consequences' - July 22nd, 2018
- Ceasefire Allows Thousands of Yemenis to Flee Port City of Hodeidah - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Evacuates Hundreds of White Helmets From Syria Into Jordan - July 22nd, 2018
- US Launches Campaign to Undermine Support for Iran's Leaders - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Offers to Reopen Gaza Crossing on Tuesday If Ceasefire Holds - July 22nd, 2018