Our first taste of the ongoing military drill involving the US and Jordan came with the Pentagon sending a Patriot missile battery which may serve as the basis for a no-fly zone in the region.
Today the Associated Press is reporting that the drill is focused on ground operations, involving commandos from Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon practicing offensive operations, while trainees portraying Syrian refugees vowed to “free Syria.”
Jordanian army leadership insists the drill, officially dubbed “Eager Lion,” is entirely about bolstering defensive capabilities, and say that the offensive aspects are “routine.”
The timing of the operations, as well as revelations that the recent announcements on intervening in Syria was actually the result of a decision made weeks ago, ahead of the operation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018