Our first taste of the ongoing military drill involving the US and Jordan came with the Pentagon sending a Patriot missile battery which may serve as the basis for a no-fly zone in the region.
Today the Associated Press is reporting that the drill is focused on ground operations, involving commandos from Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon practicing offensive operations, while trainees portraying Syrian refugees vowed to “free Syria.”
Jordanian army leadership insists the drill, officially dubbed “Eager Lion,” is entirely about bolstering defensive capabilities, and say that the offensive aspects are “routine.”
The timing of the operations, as well as revelations that the recent announcements on intervening in Syria was actually the result of a decision made weeks ago, ahead of the operation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017