A suicide car bombing tore through minibuses in front of the Afghan Supreme Court today, killing at least 17 people and wounding 40 others. The court is in the most heavily fortified part of Kabul.
The attack appears to have sought to maximize casualties by targeting the buses used to ferry court staff from work just as they were leaving. A Taliban spokesman said the court staff had been repeatedly warned to stop working there.
It’s the second major attack against the capital city in as many days, after a major armed attack against the Kabul Airport on Monday. That attack targeted the NATO headquarters at the base in a multi-hour siege.
Though Afghan officials have sought to downplay the significance of such attacks, the Taliban’s ability to strike at even the most heavily secured parts of the country point to a security situation that is definitely not improving.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018