With the CIA and half a dozen other outfits showing up at his office randomly to drop off large sums of unmarked cash in discrete backpacks, Afghan President Hamid Karzai is not shy about getting gifts, nor asking for them.
To make the process of buying him off more convenient, Karzai’s most recent visit to India saw him dropping off a “wish list” with Indian officials of various high ticket items that they might want to gift to the Afghan military at some point soon.
The list reportedly included A2.A18 105 mm howitzers, which India is in the process of phasing out in favor of newer US-made versions. He also sought transport aircraft and equipment for his nation’s attack helicopter fleet.
Karzai says the gifts are entirely up to India, and they are free to give as much, or as little, as they want. With Pakistan desperately trying to convince Karzai to ditch his India alliance in favor of them, however, it is pretty clear that there is a lower limit.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017