The al-Qaeda-linked Jabhat al-Nusra rebels have released another video, the second in as many days, showing their fighters summarily executing captured Syrian soldiers.
Today’s video showed 11 soldiers, bound and blindfolded before being shot to death. The executioner in the video said the killings were ordered by “the sharia court for Deir Azzor,” though it is unclear if such a court even exists outside of the militia’s own leadership.
A video released the previous day showed the execution of three soldiers in Raqqa, with a statement read saying it was “retaliation” for claimed government massacres in Baniyas and Homs.
Nusra regularly releases videos of executions, one of several policy moves that is fueling international concern over the group’s consider influence on the rest of the Syrian rebellion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018
- Pompeo: US Preparing a 'Series of Actions' Against Venezuela - September 21st, 2018