Second Execution Video Released by the Group in Two Days
The al-Qaeda-linked Jabhat al-Nusra rebels have released another video, the second in as many days, showing their fighters summarily executing captured Syrian soldiers.
Today’s video showed 11 soldiers, bound and blindfolded before being shot to death. The executioner in the video said the killings were ordered by “the sharia court for Deir Azzor,” though it is unclear if such a court even exists outside of the militia’s own leadership.
A video released the previous day showed the execution of three soldiers in Raqqa, with a statement read saying it was “retaliation” for claimed government massacres in Baniyas and Homs.
Nusra regularly releases videos of executions, one of several policy moves that is fueling international concern over the group’s consider influence on the rest of the Syrian rebellion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Dozens of Airstrikes Pound Aleppo, At Least 85 Reported Killed - September 26th, 2016
- Pentagon: US Troops Embedded in Afghan Combat, but Not Meant to Fight - September 25th, 2016
- Myriad Forces to Join Invasion of Iraq's Mosul, But With Different Agendas - September 25th, 2016
- International Investigators Find Little Interest in Anti-ISIS Tribunal - September 25th, 2016
- General: UK Warplanes Attacked by ISIS Surface-to-Air Missiles Over Iraq - September 25th, 2016