The al-Qaeda-linked Jabhat al-Nusra rebels have released another video, the second in as many days, showing their fighters summarily executing captured Syrian soldiers.
Today’s video showed 11 soldiers, bound and blindfolded before being shot to death. The executioner in the video said the killings were ordered by “the sharia court for Deir Azzor,” though it is unclear if such a court even exists outside of the militia’s own leadership.
A video released the previous day showed the execution of three soldiers in Raqqa, with a statement read saying it was “retaliation” for claimed government massacres in Baniyas and Homs.
Nusra regularly releases videos of executions, one of several policy moves that is fueling international concern over the group’s consider influence on the rest of the Syrian rebellion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Most of the Missing Nigerian Girls Found After Boko Haram Attack - February 21st, 2018
- Iraqi Ambassador Slams Turkish 'Invaders' on Iraqi Soil - February 21st, 2018
- Trump Plan Seeks Major Boost to Already Record Arms Sales - February 21st, 2018
- Syria Sends More Fighters to Afrin in High-Stakes Standoff With Turkey - February 21st, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 15 Civilians in Northern Yemen - February 21st, 2018