Tensions Worsen Again After Relative Calm
Weeks of threat and counter-threat between the US and North Korea came to an end in mid-April, but the arrival of the USS Nimitz, an aircraft carrier, looks to re-inflame tensions in the area.
North Korean officials condemned the arrival of the Nimitz as a “extremely reckless provocation” and warned it once again raised the risk of war on the Korean Peninsula.
The Nimitz is supposed to participate in two days of military drills with South Korea. US Navy officials insisted its deployment was “in accordance with international law” and that it also somehow “contributes to economic development.”
The April tensions were similarly the result of an annual US military exercise, though this week’s drill is much smaller and not nearly as long, limiting the amount of time that it will serve to exacerbate tensions on the divided peninsula.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Turkmen Rebels Killed One Russian Pilot, Russians Rescued the Other - November 25th, 2015
- US Troops Suspended Over Attacking Afghan Hospital - November 25th, 2015
- Syria Insurgents Destroy Russian Rescue Helicopter With US Missile - November 24th, 2015
- Russia Deploys Air Defenses to Syria-Turkey Border - November 24th, 2015
- NATO Envoys Urge Turkey to Show Restraint on Russian Planes - November 24th, 2015