Abbas Spokesman: Building Sabotages US Peace Talk Efforts
The ministry insisted the expansion was the result of the 2012 evacuation of an illegal settlement in Ulpana, which courts ruled was built on privately-owned Palestinian land. The expansion is planned to be ten times the size of the evacuation.
Justice Minister Tzipi Livni insisted that the US had been informed of the plan immediately, and that it was “no cause for drama or anger.” The State Department termed the expansion “counterproductive.”
The timing of the new construction appears about as bad as possible, with a spokesman for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas saying it appeared designed to sabotage the latest US push for new peace talks. Talks have been stalled for years, ending the last time Israel ditched a settlement freeze.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- House Passes Resolution: No Troops to Iraq Without Our Okay - July 25th, 2014
- US: Israel Agrees to 12-Hour Pause in Gaza Bombing - July 25th, 2014
- Israeli Cabinet Unanimously Rejects Gaza Ceasefire - July 25th, 2014
- Eight Palestinians Killed as Israel Cracks Down on West Bank Protests - July 25th, 2014
- UN Chief Slams Israeli Attacks on Gaza: At Least 865 Palestinians Killed - July 24th, 2014