Syrian rebels have claimed a new “massacre” in the coastal village of Bayda with at least 50 and “as many as 100” killed in an apparent military attack on the Sunni village.
Though it doesn’t make much sense, the reports claim that the military didn’t actually use guns or artillery against the village, but rather showed up with knives and “blunt objects” and clubbed everyone to death.
Some of the other claimed massacres have also included this, though today’s death toll also includes the added ambiguity of claims of dozens “missing” after the attack.
There was reportedly fighting in the same village earlier today, with at least six soldiers reportedly killed by rebel troops before eventually being overrun. The lack of independent media in Syria makes allegations of civilian deaths virtually impossible to verify, and regularly both sides will accuse the other of wholesale slaughters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017