Syrian rebels have claimed a new “massacre” in the coastal village of Bayda with at least 50 and “as many as 100” killed in an apparent military attack on the Sunni village.
Though it doesn’t make much sense, the reports claim that the military didn’t actually use guns or artillery against the village, but rather showed up with knives and “blunt objects” and clubbed everyone to death.
Some of the other claimed massacres have also included this, though today’s death toll also includes the added ambiguity of claims of dozens “missing” after the attack.
There was reportedly fighting in the same village earlier today, with at least six soldiers reportedly killed by rebel troops before eventually being overrun. The lack of independent media in Syria makes allegations of civilian deaths virtually impossible to verify, and regularly both sides will accuse the other of wholesale slaughters.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018