Attack Hit Deep in 'Square of Security,' But PM Unharmed
Syrian Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi has survived an assassination attempt today, with a bombing in the high-security Mezze District claiming the lives of six other people, five of them apparently bystanders.
The Mezze District is just one of several Central Damascus districts that make up the “square of security” where Syria’s government offices are centered, and where much of its civilian and military leadership resides.
The attack shows the rebels’ ability to infiltrate deep into Damascus and carry out attacks, though so far it isn’t clear which rebel faction or factions carried out today’s bombing.
Halqi has been prime minister since August, when his predecessor Riyad Hijab defected to the rebels. Hijab himself only served two months before defecting to Jordan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Insurgents Destroy Russian Rescue Helicopter With US Missile - November 24th, 2015
- Russia Deploys Air Defenses to Syria-Turkey Border - November 24th, 2015
- NATO Envoys Urge Turkey to Show Restraint on Russian Planes - November 24th, 2015
- US Uses Banking Records to Decide What Syrian Oil Infrastructure to Attack - November 24th, 2015
- Syrian Turkmen Rebels Killed Russian Pilots Parachuting From Downed Plane - November 24th, 2015