Israeli Labor MP Merav Michaeli, an outspoken advocate of a peace deal with the Palestinians, surprised many today when he came out publicly against the US pushing new talks on the Netanyahu government.
Michaeli said that the efforts wouldn’t accomplish anything and indeed would deepen mistrust because he believes the Netanyahu government isn’t sincere in making a deal right now.
“Israelis need to want to reach an agreement,” Michaeli noted, adding that until then the efforts would just lead to endless talks that don’t amount to anything. The last round of talks have stalled for years since Israel scrapped a settlement freeze.
The US has been pressing the Palestinians to abandon all preconditions in talks and pressing Israel to make some minor concessions, though so far both sides remain far apart and it seems unlikely talks will break out any time soon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018