Israeli Labor MP Merav Michaeli, an outspoken advocate of a peace deal with the Palestinians, surprised many today when he came out publicly against the US pushing new talks on the Netanyahu government.
Michaeli said that the efforts wouldn’t accomplish anything and indeed would deepen mistrust because he believes the Netanyahu government isn’t sincere in making a deal right now.
“Israelis need to want to reach an agreement,” Michaeli noted, adding that until then the efforts would just lead to endless talks that don’t amount to anything. The last round of talks have stalled for years since Israel scrapped a settlement freeze.
The US has been pressing the Palestinians to abandon all preconditions in talks and pressing Israel to make some minor concessions, though so far both sides remain far apart and it seems unlikely talks will break out any time soon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018