Israeli Labor MP Merav Michaeli, an outspoken advocate of a peace deal with the Palestinians, surprised many today when he came out publicly against the US pushing new talks on the Netanyahu government.
Michaeli said that the efforts wouldn’t accomplish anything and indeed would deepen mistrust because he believes the Netanyahu government isn’t sincere in making a deal right now.
“Israelis need to want to reach an agreement,” Michaeli noted, adding that until then the efforts would just lead to endless talks that don’t amount to anything. The last round of talks have stalled for years since Israel scrapped a settlement freeze.
The US has been pressing the Palestinians to abandon all preconditions in talks and pressing Israel to make some minor concessions, though so far both sides remain far apart and it seems unlikely talks will break out any time soon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018