Israeli Labor MP Merav Michaeli, an outspoken advocate of a peace deal with the Palestinians, surprised many today when he came out publicly against the US pushing new talks on the Netanyahu government.
Michaeli said that the efforts wouldn’t accomplish anything and indeed would deepen mistrust because he believes the Netanyahu government isn’t sincere in making a deal right now.
“Israelis need to want to reach an agreement,” Michaeli noted, adding that until then the efforts would just lead to endless talks that don’t amount to anything. The last round of talks have stalled for years since Israel scrapped a settlement freeze.
The US has been pressing the Palestinians to abandon all preconditions in talks and pressing Israel to make some minor concessions, though so far both sides remain far apart and it seems unlikely talks will break out any time soon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- To Get Hurricane Aid, Dickinson, TX Residents Must Swear They Won't Boycott Israel - October 20th, 2017
- Suicide Bombers Hit Afghan Shi'ite Mosques, Killing 72 - October 20th, 2017
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017