Israeli Labor MP Merav Michaeli, an outspoken advocate of a peace deal with the Palestinians, surprised many today when he came out publicly against the US pushing new talks on the Netanyahu government.
Michaeli said that the efforts wouldn’t accomplish anything and indeed would deepen mistrust because he believes the Netanyahu government isn’t sincere in making a deal right now.
“Israelis need to want to reach an agreement,” Michaeli noted, adding that until then the efforts would just lead to endless talks that don’t amount to anything. The last round of talks have stalled for years since Israel scrapped a settlement freeze.
The US has been pressing the Palestinians to abandon all preconditions in talks and pressing Israel to make some minor concessions, though so far both sides remain far apart and it seems unlikely talks will break out any time soon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017