New Deployments Just the Tip of the Iceberg, Many Fear
Hundreds of Jordanians took to the streets of Amman today, protesting against the announced deployment of yet another 200 US troops to the nation, over fear that it will bring Jordan into the ever-growing Syrian Civil War.
“This is not in our national interest” was the chant, and the rally seemed to be dominated by leftists who are worried that installing the Islamist rebels in Syria is just going to set the stage for similar wars in Jordan and elsewhere across the region.
There were already US troops in Jordan training Syrian rebels, and the 200 extra troops is a small enough matter, but many believe it is just the tip of the iceberg, and US comments have done nothing but support that speculation.
Some of Syria’s more Islamist rebel factions have also made it clear that they believe Syria is just the beginning. Some are already getting heavily involved in fueling sectarian fighting in Lebanon, and fanning the flames in Iraq. Jordan is likely to be the next logical stop after those for fighters with regional ambitions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 300 Killed as Central African Republic Violence Spikes - December 6th, 2013
- Karzai Aide: Afghans Won't Bow to US Pressure on Pact - December 6th, 2013
- Hagel: Attacking Iran Still an Option - December 6th, 2013
- NSA Defends Cellphone Tracking: Reagan Authorized It - December 6th, 2013
- Pakistan PM Plans Crackdown on Anti-Drone Protests - December 6th, 2013