New Deployments Just the Tip of the Iceberg, Many Fear
Hundreds of Jordanians took to the streets of Amman today, protesting against the announced deployment of yet another 200 US troops to the nation, over fear that it will bring Jordan into the ever-growing Syrian Civil War.
“This is not in our national interest” was the chant, and the rally seemed to be dominated by leftists who are worried that installing the Islamist rebels in Syria is just going to set the stage for similar wars in Jordan and elsewhere across the region.
There were already US troops in Jordan training Syrian rebels, and the 200 extra troops is a small enough matter, but many believe it is just the tip of the iceberg, and US comments have done nothing but support that speculation.
Some of Syria’s more Islamist rebel factions have also made it clear that they believe Syria is just the beginning. Some are already getting heavily involved in fueling sectarian fighting in Lebanon, and fanning the flames in Iraq. Jordan is likely to be the next logical stop after those for fighters with regional ambitions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Growing Infighting Among Kurdish Factions in Iraq, Syria - March 15th, 2017
- Sen. John McCain: Rand Paul Is Working for Vladimir Putin - March 15th, 2017
- Syrian War Enters 7th Year; Country as Divided as Ever - March 15th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Sunni Warns Civilian Deaths Surging in Iraq's West Mosul Invasion - March 15th, 2017
- Ukraine Blocks All Road, Rail Links to Separatist Regions - March 15th, 2017