Insists All Chechen-Americans Are a Potential Threat
Rep. Peter King (R – NY) doesn’t need an excuse to call for massive increases in spying on Muslims; he does that all the time anyhow. Yet the Boston bombing certain provides a pretext to get those arguments rehashed all over again.
King, who spent last year holding Congressional hearings on the “real threat” posed by America’s Muslim minority, demanded “increased surveillance” on all Muslims nationwide, with particular interest in Chechen-Americans, who he termed a “new front” in the global war on terror.
Of course there are almost no Chechen-Americans in the first place, and indeed not that many Chechens on the whole planet, but Rep. King seems keen to move against the few hundred there actually are in any ways he can.
King insisted that not moving toward more overt persecution of American Muslims would be a sign of political correctness gone mad, saying that the government needed to fully explore the radicalization of Chechens in particular.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Routed by ISIS, US-Backed Syrian Rebel Group Vows New Attacks - June 30th, 2016
- Britain Could Stay in EU, or Close to It - June 30th, 2016
- Federal Judge: PCs Connected to Internet Have No Expectation of Privacy - June 30th, 2016
- Istanbul Bombers Identified as ISIS-Linked Foreigners - June 30th, 2016
- Obama Seeks Deeper Cooperation With Russia on Syria War - June 30th, 2016