Insists All Chechen-Americans Are a Potential Threat
Rep. Peter King (R – NY) doesn’t need an excuse to call for massive increases in spying on Muslims; he does that all the time anyhow. Yet the Boston bombing certain provides a pretext to get those arguments rehashed all over again.
King, who spent last year holding Congressional hearings on the “real threat” posed by America’s Muslim minority, demanded “increased surveillance” on all Muslims nationwide, with particular interest in Chechen-Americans, who he termed a “new front” in the global war on terror.
Of course there are almost no Chechen-Americans in the first place, and indeed not that many Chechens on the whole planet, but Rep. King seems keen to move against the few hundred there actually are in any ways he can.
King insisted that not moving toward more overt persecution of American Muslims would be a sign of political correctness gone mad, saying that the government needed to fully explore the radicalization of Chechens in particular.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Homeland Security Chair: Terrorism Spreading 'Like a Spiderweb' - December 8th, 2013
- Key Allies Ditch Iraqi PM Ahead of April Election - December 8th, 2013
- Lapid: Split on Peace Talks, Israeli Coalition Could Crumble - December 8th, 2013
- Obama Puts Final Iran Deal Odds at 50-50 - December 8th, 2013
- Netanyahu: Iran Nuclear Program Precludes Peace With Palestinians - December 8th, 2013