Faced with calls to reveal more information about the drone strike program, or at the very least to disclose the legal foundations for how they figure they can assassinate people worldwide, the Obama Administration has issued a virtual non-answer statement.
The new statement from the National Security Council bragged about the “unprecedented” disclosures they’ve already made, and insisted that the administration would continue with disclosures exactly as they have.
“Exactly as they have,” in this context, means refusing all comment on individual drone strikes, and never even sort of admitting to them except on those rare occasions when they’ve heard of someone they killed.
The NSC defended this, insisting that the Obama Administration has a “process in place” to ensure the killings are ethical, but this process remains more or less entirely secret, and the NSC insists that what little they’ve told to the public before is “all” they feel comfortable telling us.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018