Capping a week-long round of reports about increased activity training Syrian rebels in Jordan, the Free Syrian Army (FSA) has captured a major army garrison in southeastern Syria, along the Jordan border.
Syrian rebel sources say “dozens” of people were killed in the capture of the Um al-Mayathen garrison, the center of Syrian Army defenses in the Daraa Province charged with controlling the border area.
Jordan’s Information Minister commented earlier on the matter, saying that they are making sure the US is only training “secular” rebels in their country, adding “Jordan can’t sit idle and watch al-Qaeda and other militants seizing control of its common border.”
Backing the secular portion of the rebellion as a counter to al-Qaeda is a strategy a lot of regional officials have backed, but with the al-Qaeda-backed portions doing much of the heavy lifting across Syria, they seem to be either propping up secular auxiliaries for them or setting the stage for yet another religious civil war if and when the current one ends.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018
- Koreans Hold Talks With UN on Demilitarizing the Border - October 17th, 2018
- Pentagon Exaggerates ISIS Foreign Fighter Estimates to Justify Staying in Syria - October 17th, 2018
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018