Capping a week-long round of reports about increased activity training Syrian rebels in Jordan, the Free Syrian Army (FSA) has captured a major army garrison in southeastern Syria, along the Jordan border.
Syrian rebel sources say “dozens” of people were killed in the capture of the Um al-Mayathen garrison, the center of Syrian Army defenses in the Daraa Province charged with controlling the border area.
Jordan’s Information Minister commented earlier on the matter, saying that they are making sure the US is only training “secular” rebels in their country, adding “Jordan can’t sit idle and watch al-Qaeda and other militants seizing control of its common border.”
Backing the secular portion of the rebellion as a counter to al-Qaeda is a strategy a lot of regional officials have backed, but with the al-Qaeda-backed portions doing much of the heavy lifting across Syria, they seem to be either propping up secular auxiliaries for them or setting the stage for yet another religious civil war if and when the current one ends.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017