Multiple Airspace Violations in Past Two Weeks
The UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) has confirmed a dramatic increase in the number of Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace, with several incidents reported in the past two weeks alone.
Israeli warplanes wandering into Lebanon are not a new phenomenon, but UNIFIL reports that this year has seen twice the rate of overflights as 2012, and not all of these are small 1-2 plane incursions.
On March 14, an estimated 25 Israeli warplanes conducted four separate flights into Lebanese airspace, heading up virtually the entire coast before turning back just short of Syria.
Israel launched air strikes along the Syria-Lebanon border in January and is believed to be considering a full-scale war with Syria, so many of the incursions have been chalked up as posturing for a potential Syria war. Yet Israeli military leaders have talked up the “value” of invading Lebanon yet again, so this can’t be ruled out either.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Seize Most of NE City of Hasakeh From Govt - August 23rd, 2016
- US Efforts Fail to Rein in Iraqi Shi'ite Militias - August 23rd, 2016
- Israel's 50 Raids on Gaza in 2 Hours Raises Concerns About DM's Security Plan - August 23rd, 2016
- Former CIA Asset Seeks to Militarize East Libya - August 23rd, 2016
- Biden: Ignore Trump, US Committed to Baltic States Permanently - August 23rd, 2016