Multiple Airspace Violations in Past Two Weeks
The UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) has confirmed a dramatic increase in the number of Israeli violations of Lebanese airspace, with several incidents reported in the past two weeks alone.
Israeli warplanes wandering into Lebanon are not a new phenomenon, but UNIFIL reports that this year has seen twice the rate of overflights as 2012, and not all of these are small 1-2 plane incursions.
On March 14, an estimated 25 Israeli warplanes conducted four separate flights into Lebanese airspace, heading up virtually the entire coast before turning back just short of Syria.
Israel launched air strikes along the Syria-Lebanon border in January and is believed to be considering a full-scale war with Syria, so many of the incursions have been chalked up as posturing for a potential Syria war. Yet Israeli military leaders have talked up the “value” of invading Lebanon yet again, so this can’t be ruled out either.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- East Ukraine Mayor: US Reporter Being Held as 'Guest' - April 23rd, 2014
- US-Israeli Reporter Held by Protesters in East Ukraine - April 22nd, 2014
- 86 Percent of Syria's Chemical Arsenal Destroyed - April 22nd, 2014
- Biden Slams Russia, Says US Will Never Recognize Crimea Annexation - April 22nd, 2014
- Ukraine President Vows New Offensive Against East - April 22nd, 2014