NATO Nations Looking at Libya-Style 'No Fly Zone'
European Command leader Admiral James Stavridis has confirmed that the US and other NATO member nations are engaged in joint planning for the possibility of military intervention in Syria’s Civil War.
The admiral says the US would be “prepared if called upon to be engaged as we were in Libya,” and said that there is “a great deal of discussion” of trying to impose a no-fly zone over Syria.
Of course, the “no-fly zone” in Libya almost immediately morphed into a full scale air war to impose regime change on Libya, which NATO eventually did, leaving Libya the mess of militant factions it is today. Somehow this is being considered a model to reproduce in Syria.
That may just be the tip of the iceberg, with Sen. Lindsay Graham (R – SC) talking up the possibility of invading Syria outright, insisting US “boots on the ground” are necessary to seize Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal, and to install the rebels as the new government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Israeli Reporter Held by Protesters in East Ukraine - April 22nd, 2014
- 86 Percent of Syria's Chemical Arsenal Destroyed - April 22nd, 2014
- Biden Slams Russia, Says US Will Never Recognize Crimea Annexation - April 22nd, 2014
- Ukraine President Vows New Offensive Against East - April 22nd, 2014
- Ruling Party Politician Found Slain in East Ukraine - April 22nd, 2014