Island Officials Claim 'High Alert'
North Korean officials regularly issue bellicose, but ultimate empty, threats, but that didn’t stop Baengnyeong Island officials from announcing “high alert” in response to a threat from Kim Jong-Un to wipe the island out.
Kim was visiting border artillery forces, and claimed plans to turn the island into a “sea of flames” and to save photographs of the island engulfed in flames for the Supreme Command.
Kim Young-Gu, an official from the island, confirmed that they are “a bit scared” in response to the threat, insisting that the emergency shelters are “fully stocked” and ready to accept civilians if war breaks out.
North Korean officials have repeatedly claimed an end to the 1953 armistice that ended the fighting in the Korean War. They have made this claim over the past several years, however, and nothing ever seems to come of it, meaning it is likely little more than a way to get press releases publicized during tense periods.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Massive Antiwar Protests in Tokyo Over PM's Attempt to Revamp Military - August 30th, 2015
- Five Killed in Taliban Infighting in Southern Afghanistan - August 30th, 2015
- Netanyahu Claims Israel Fine With Iran Having Civilian Nuclear Program - August 30th, 2015
- ISIS Fighters Seize Part of Syrian Capital of Damascus - August 30th, 2015
- Saudi Airstrikes Kill 36 in Attack on Yemen Bottling Plant - August 30th, 2015