Island Officials Claim 'High Alert'
North Korean officials regularly issue bellicose, but ultimate empty, threats, but that didn’t stop Baengnyeong Island officials from announcing “high alert” in response to a threat from Kim Jong-Un to wipe the island out.
Kim was visiting border artillery forces, and claimed plans to turn the island into a “sea of flames” and to save photographs of the island engulfed in flames for the Supreme Command.
Kim Young-Gu, an official from the island, confirmed that they are “a bit scared” in response to the threat, insisting that the emergency shelters are “fully stocked” and ready to accept civilians if war breaks out.
North Korean officials have repeatedly claimed an end to the 1953 armistice that ended the fighting in the Korean War. They have made this claim over the past several years, however, and nothing ever seems to come of it, meaning it is likely little more than a way to get press releases publicized during tense periods.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- FM: Russia Won't Accept US Terms to End Sanctions - October 20th, 2014
- Egypt Denies Plans to Join US War Against ISIS - October 20th, 2014
- Kobani Kurds Thank US for Arms, Insist They're Not Enough - October 20th, 2014
- Riots in East Jerusalem Neighborhood After Settlers Move In - October 20th, 2014
- Turkey to Allow Peshmerga Fighters to Cross Into Kobani - October 20th, 2014