Island Officials Claim 'High Alert'
North Korean officials regularly issue bellicose, but ultimate empty, threats, but that didn’t stop Baengnyeong Island officials from announcing “high alert” in response to a threat from Kim Jong-Un to wipe the island out.
Kim was visiting border artillery forces, and claimed plans to turn the island into a “sea of flames” and to save photographs of the island engulfed in flames for the Supreme Command.
Kim Young-Gu, an official from the island, confirmed that they are “a bit scared” in response to the threat, insisting that the emergency shelters are “fully stocked” and ready to accept civilians if war breaks out.
North Korean officials have repeatedly claimed an end to the 1953 armistice that ended the fighting in the Korean War. They have made this claim over the past several years, however, and nothing ever seems to come of it, meaning it is likely little more than a way to get press releases publicized during tense periods.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Refugee Influx, Israeli Attacks Overwhelm UN Relief Agency - July 31st, 2014
- Israel, Hamas Agree to 72-Hour Ceasefire: 1,452 Gazans Killed - July 31st, 2014
- White House: Israeli Attack on UN School in Gaza 'Indefensible' - July 31st, 2014
- Libya Islamists Declare Control Over Benghazi - July 31st, 2014
- 49 Killed in Latest ISIS Attack on Key Syrian Kurdish Town - July 31st, 2014