Island Officials Claim 'High Alert'
North Korean officials regularly issue bellicose, but ultimate empty, threats, but that didn’t stop Baengnyeong Island officials from announcing “high alert” in response to a threat from Kim Jong-Un to wipe the island out.
Kim was visiting border artillery forces, and claimed plans to turn the island into a “sea of flames” and to save photographs of the island engulfed in flames for the Supreme Command.
Kim Young-Gu, an official from the island, confirmed that they are “a bit scared” in response to the threat, insisting that the emergency shelters are “fully stocked” and ready to accept civilians if war breaks out.
North Korean officials have repeatedly claimed an end to the 1953 armistice that ended the fighting in the Korean War. They have made this claim over the past several years, however, and nothing ever seems to come of it, meaning it is likely little more than a way to get press releases publicized during tense periods.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Orders Green Berets to Remove Kurdish Militia Patches - May 27th, 2016
- Obama Has Slowed Reduction in US Nuclear Arsenal - May 27th, 2016
- Days After Forming, Israel's Far-Right Govt May Be Near Collapse - May 27th, 2016
- Last Pentagon-Trained Syrian Rebels On Verge of Defeat - May 27th, 2016
- Growing Fear for Fallujah Civilians as Iraq's Offensive Expands - May 26th, 2016