Training FSA Fighters in Anti-Tank Weaponry
Der Spiegel is reporting that US troops deployed to the Jordanian border have been engaged in full-scale training operations for Free Syrian Army (FSA) fighters, one of the largest rebel factions in the ongoing Syrian Civil War.
The report follows similar claims Friday from the Guardian which had French and British “personnel” involved in a US-led effort to train rebels, but provides more details, including a focus on anti-tank weaponry.
The US had previously denied plans to engage in training of the Syrian rebels, and the Pentagon has refused any comments on the Spiegel piece. The US insisted before it would only provide food and medical supplies to the rebels.
British officials denied that any troops were involved in the training, but did confirm “personnel” were in Jordan. The European Union formally bans training of Syria’s rebels except for “humanitarian purposes,” though Britain has been pushing to get that ban reversed, and has suggested that they could do virtually anything and just call it “humanitarian” later.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Extends Deadline: Fates of Jordan Pilot, Japanese Reporter Unknown - January 28th, 2015
- Cuba Wants Gitmo Back as Part of US Normalization Deal - January 28th, 2015
- ISIS War Authorization Bill Would Limit Conflict - January 28th, 2015
- Obama Eyes Record Pentagon Budget for 2016 - January 28th, 2015
- Think Tank: 550 Western Women Have Joined ISIS - January 28th, 2015