Training FSA Fighters in Anti-Tank Weaponry
Der Spiegel is reporting that US troops deployed to the Jordanian border have been engaged in full-scale training operations for Free Syrian Army (FSA) fighters, one of the largest rebel factions in the ongoing Syrian Civil War.
The report follows similar claims Friday from the Guardian which had French and British “personnel” involved in a US-led effort to train rebels, but provides more details, including a focus on anti-tank weaponry.
The US had previously denied plans to engage in training of the Syrian rebels, and the Pentagon has refused any comments on the Spiegel piece. The US insisted before it would only provide food and medical supplies to the rebels.
British officials denied that any troops were involved in the training, but did confirm “personnel” were in Jordan. The European Union formally bans training of Syria’s rebels except for “humanitarian purposes,” though Britain has been pushing to get that ban reversed, and has suggested that they could do virtually anything and just call it “humanitarian” later.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Security Council Condemns Israeli Settlement Expansion - October 30th, 2014
- Mass Graves Discovered: 228 Sunni Tribesmen Executed by ISIS in Anbar - October 30th, 2014
- Israeli DM Scraps Plan to Buy US Osprey Warplanes - October 30th, 2014
- Gen. Dempsey: Send 'Advisers' to Front Lines in Anbar Province - October 30th, 2014
- Pentagon Warns US Soldiers to 'Mask Their Identities' - October 30th, 2014