Israel Promises 'Adjustments' to Treatment of Child Prisoners
A scathing new report (PDF) from UNICEF blasts the Israeli government for its treatment of the hundreds of Palestinian children it captures and holds as “detainees” annually, referring to their treatment as “cruel, inhuman and degrading.”
The report says children are routinely blindfolded, shackled with painful restraints, and face physical violence, death threats, and threats of sexual assault against themselves or a family member.
The report goes on to criticize the Israeli court system for its handling of such child detainees, noting that the children are held shackled, denied bail and are often sentenced to “custodial sentences” outside of the occupied territories, being brought into Israel to serve out sentences.
Israel responded by saying the existing system was created with “adult terrorists” in mind, and that it has to continue to make adjustments related to “Palestinian minors in acts of terror.” It is noteworthy that these detainees are largely captured for involvement in protests or for throwing stones, and not for conducting actual terror attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Shipping Tanks to Georgia for 'Drills' - May 5th, 2016
- NATO Targets Russia With Planned Missile Defense Expansion - May 5th, 2016
- Al-Qaeda Said to Be Leaving Key South Yemen Towns - May 5th, 2016
- US Providing Military Support for Yemen War on al-Qaeda - May 5th, 2016
- Dozens Killed as Airstrike Hits North Syria Refugee Camp - May 5th, 2016