Syrian Rebels Say Gen. Shateri Died in Israeli Air Strike
The death of Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander Gen. Hassan Shateri is sparking growing speculation, after initial reports of his death in Lebanon were changed to a death in Syria, and officials now say he was killed by “mercenaries and supports of Israel.”
With Shateri being mourned today in Tehran after a death officials say happened Tuesday, the rebel Free Syrian Army (FSA) is issuing a statement not only contradicting the timing, but the entire narrative.
According to an FSA spokesman, Gen. Shateri was killed two weeks ago in the Israeli air strikes against Syria. The spokesman also claimed the general was supervising shipments of regime arms to Lebanon.
Israeli officials have yet to comment on this claim, but have also been mostly mum on the strikes themselves. It is clear that the FSA would want to implicate Israel as this would both forward the effort to sell Israel on the idea of arms smuggling and give a boost to the chances of widening the war to other countries.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine Appoints Top Fascist to Key Military Advisory Post - April 8th, 2015
- Israeli General Vows to Level Civilian Homes in Next Lebanon War - April 8th, 2015
- Sen. Cotton: Iran War Would Only Take a Few Days - April 8th, 2015
- Doctors Without Borders Ship Arrives in Aden With Humanitarian Aid - April 8th, 2015
- 32 Killed as ISIS Bombings Target al-Qaeda in North Syria - April 8th, 2015