With Syria engaged in an ugly and ever-worsening civil war, the border with Israel and the huge Israeli-built fence several miles into internationally recognized Syrian territory, remains calm.
But just because nothing is happening doesn’t mean the military can’t scaremonger, with Israeli military officials saying that the calm is “deceptive” and that terror attacks from Syrian rebels or regime are “only a matter of time.”
The terror attacks, which again one must be reminded aren’t actually happening, are being preemptively blamed on Syrian President Bashar Assad, and his criticism of recent Israeli air strikes against his country.
The logic is that Assad’s criticism, and his accusation that Israel is backing the rebels with such attacks, is fueling “anti-Israel aggression” that will lead to attacks at some non-specified point in the future by some non-specified combatant force.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrike Kills Eight in Eastern Syria - June 21st, 2018
- Japan Halts Missile Attack Drills After Trump-Kim Summit - June 21st, 2018
- North Korea Denuclearization Has Already Started, Says Trump - June 21st, 2018
- Trump: North Korea Has Returned Remains of 200 US War Dead - June 21st, 2018
- Report Warns Taliban's 'Parallel State' Still Rules Large Swathes of Afghanistan - June 21st, 2018