No Point in Diplomacy While US Sanctions, Threatens Iran, Supreme Leader Insists
Iran’s Supreme Leader Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has rejected Vice President Joe Biden’s offer for bilateral talks with the United States, saying there is “no value” to such talks so long as the US continues threatening to invade.
“You are pointing the gun at Iran and say either negotiate or we will shoot,” Khamenei said, adding later that “imposing, in your own words, crippling sanctions” does not show goodwill going into such talks.
Indeed, some US officials are openly talking about the sanctions as “economic war” against Iran, and only yesterday the administration unveiled yet another round, apparently a preface to the P5+1 talks coming later this month.
Of course, US officials announce new sanctions against Iran several times a month, but seem to save the big ones for the immediate lead up to any international talks, to be followed by reports of even more demands to be made against Iran, and after the talks inevitably fail, condemnations and a new round of threats.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- After Ceasefire Collapse, Israeli Cabinet Likely to Approve Escalating Gaza War - August 1st, 2014
- 23 ISIS Fighters, 17 Iraqi Soldiers Killed South of Baghdad - August 1st, 2014
- Pentagon Wants to Send Troops to Ukraine for 'Counterterrorism' Training - August 1st, 2014
- Obama Sees Little Hope of Brokering Another Gaza Ceasefire - August 1st, 2014
- Israel: Hamas Violated Ceasefire by Hitting Attacking Israeli Troops - August 1st, 2014