'No Quiet Complicity' in US Killings, Insists Envoy
Addressing reporters today, Pakistani Ambassador to the United States Sherry Rehman reiterated her government’s opposition to US drone strikes against Pakistani territory as a “clear violation of our sovereignty and a violation of international law.”
Rehman went on to say that there “has been no quiet complicity” from the ruling Pakistani Peoples Party (PPP) about the attacks, disputing US claims that they assume Pakistan’s government just publicly complains about the strikes but gives its “tacit consent.”
Rehman’s comments are likely more directly at Pakistan than at the United States, with elections just months away and many opposition parties condemning the PPP for not doing something to stop the strikes, and a broad belief inside Pakistan that there is a secret deal to keep the attacks going.
Rehman went on to reiterate that her government believes that the strikes are fueling more resentment and radicalization than the benefits they are supposedly providing in killing thousands of tribesmen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Beheads Nine Kurdish Fighters as Battle Rages for Town - October 1st, 2014
- 41 Children Slain in Suicide Attack Outside Syrian School - October 1st, 2014
- Iraq PM Warns Arab States Not to Join US Airstrikes - October 1st, 2014
- Ukraine Shells Donetsk Playground, Killing 10 - October 1st, 2014
- Spy Agency Officials: Obama Scapegoating Us Over ISIS - October 1st, 2014