'No Quiet Complicity' in US Killings, Insists Envoy
Addressing reporters today, Pakistani Ambassador to the United States Sherry Rehman reiterated her government’s opposition to US drone strikes against Pakistani territory as a “clear violation of our sovereignty and a violation of international law.”
Rehman went on to say that there “has been no quiet complicity” from the ruling Pakistani Peoples Party (PPP) about the attacks, disputing US claims that they assume Pakistan’s government just publicly complains about the strikes but gives its “tacit consent.”
Rehman’s comments are likely more directly at Pakistan than at the United States, with elections just months away and many opposition parties condemning the PPP for not doing something to stop the strikes, and a broad belief inside Pakistan that there is a secret deal to keep the attacks going.
Rehman went on to reiterate that her government believes that the strikes are fueling more resentment and radicalization than the benefits they are supposedly providing in killing thousands of tribesmen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Heavy Fighting: Ukraine Attacks Areas Around MH17 Crash Site - July 28th, 2014
- Israel Orders Thousands More Palestinians to Leave Gaza City Outskirts - July 28th, 2014
- Sunni Politician's Abduction Raises Question of Who Controls Shiite Militias - July 28th, 2014
- Citing Holocaust, Israel Demands 'Strict Regulation' of Antiwar Protests in Europe - July 28th, 2014
- State Dept. Lashes Israel 'Misinformation' on Kerry Ceasefire Plan - July 28th, 2014