'No Quiet Complicity' in US Killings, Insists Envoy
Addressing reporters today, Pakistani Ambassador to the United States Sherry Rehman reiterated her government’s opposition to US drone strikes against Pakistani territory as a “clear violation of our sovereignty and a violation of international law.”
Rehman went on to say that there “has been no quiet complicity” from the ruling Pakistani Peoples Party (PPP) about the attacks, disputing US claims that they assume Pakistan’s government just publicly complains about the strikes but gives its “tacit consent.”
Rehman’s comments are likely more directly at Pakistan than at the United States, with elections just months away and many opposition parties condemning the PPP for not doing something to stop the strikes, and a broad belief inside Pakistan that there is a secret deal to keep the attacks going.
Rehman went on to reiterate that her government believes that the strikes are fueling more resentment and radicalization than the benefits they are supposedly providing in killing thousands of tribesmen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House: Substantial Increase in Military Aid Offered to Israel - July 1st, 2016
- French President: Brexit Cannot Be Cancelled or Delayed - July 1st, 2016
- Putin Warns Finland Against Joining NATO - July 1st, 2016
- Quartet Report: Israel Must Stop Building Settlements - July 1st, 2016
- Israel Imposes Military Closure on Hebron, Withholds Tax Money From Palestinians - July 1st, 2016