Says US Should Stop Threatening to Invade
Following up on Vice President Joe Biden’s Saturday comments that it was possible for the US to directly negotiate with Iran, assuming it is “serious” about such talks, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akhbar Salehi said his nation welcomes the idea.
Salehi insisted that Iran had already negotiated directly with the US several times during the P5+1 talks in Baghdad, and was eager to move forward with such talks if the US has a “real intention to resolve the issue.”
To that end, Salehi said that the US should stop with its “threatening rhetoric,” including its repeatedly comments “that everything is on the table.” The US issues such threats to invade Iran several times a month.
US seriousness about the talks is an open-ended question, as they regularly add more demands for Iran before any international talks, and on the one occasion when Iran actually called their bluff and agreed to their proposal they angrily pulled the offer and condemned Iran for accepting it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Rep. Hunter: Nuke Iran Instead of Ground Invasion - December 4th, 2013
- Secular Syria Rebels Mull Rejoining Govt to Fight al-Qaeda - December 4th, 2013
- White House 'Frustrated' by Israel's Condemnations of Iran Deal - December 3rd, 2013
- Cantor Bill Would Dictate Terms of Any Iran Deal - December 3rd, 2013
- From Rebellion to Extortion: The Free Syrian Army Is Changing - December 3rd, 2013