Israeli Warplanes Sighted Over Lebanon on 'Practice' Runs
Retired Israeli general Giora Eiland, who also served as a National Security Adviser, is warning that he sees a danger of escalation in the wake of Wednesday’s Israeli attack on Syria.
He noted that Israel actually appears to have comparatively little intelligence about what is ongoing in Syria right now because of the civil war, and that it is possible the Assad regime might launch a “symbolic” missile in retaliation for the Israeli attack.
Eiland further warned that attacking what are in essence “defensive weapons,” referring to anti-aircraft SA-17 missiles reportedly targeted in the Israeli strike could risk worsening Israel’s relationship with Russia, and that Israel ought to be trying to negotiate with Russia on its role in the region instead of antagonizing them with further strikes.
The Israeli warplanes attacked Syria by way of neighboring Lebanon, and today Israeli warplanes were reportedly sighted across southern and eastern Lebanon, carrying out “mock raids” on the towns in the region.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Troops Invade Nusra Front-Held Aleppo, Seize Key District - September 27th, 2016
- Infiltrators Kill 13 Afghan Soldiers in Their Sleep - September 27th, 2016
- Turkey Cheers as Kurdish Forces Withdraw From Syrian City of Manbij - September 26th, 2016
- Clinton, Trump Both Talk Escalation Against ISIS - September 26th, 2016
- Clinton Assures Netanyahu She Would Veto Any UN Actions on Israel - September 26th, 2016