Obama Likely Told About Attack Ahead of Time
After official silence yesterday (apart from anonymous claims about what was hit), the White House has finally officially responded to the Israeli attack on Syria by issuing a warning to the attacked Syrian government.
Staying completely off-topic on the attack, the US instead followed up on its own reports that the attack targeted SA-17 anti-aircraft missiles, warning that Syria could “further destabilize the region” with its putative shipments.
Syria for its part insists the attack didn’t hit a “convoy of trucks” but rather a building related to Syrian military planning, killing two people. So far there has been no evidence either way, and Israel has refused to comment on its attack at all, beyond hinting at more to come.
Off the record, officials say the relative non-response from the US is further indication that President Obama knew of the Israeli attack ahead of time, and indeed the head of Israeli military intelligence is currently in the US for talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Poland Will Obey EU Court, Compensate Black Site Detainees - February 18th, 2015
- Nigerian Airstrike Kills 37 Civilians Along Niger Border - February 18th, 2015
- Libyan ISIS' Mediterranean Outposts Have Italy Scrambling to War - February 18th, 2015
- Kurds Repel ISIS Offensive Southwest of Irbil - February 18th, 2015
- Officials: EU Considering Mending Ties With Assad - February 18th, 2015