After official silence yesterday (apart from anonymous claims about what was hit), the White House has finally officially responded to the Israeli attack on Syria by issuing a warning to the attacked Syrian government.
Staying completely off-topic on the attack, the US instead followed up on its own reports that the attack targeted SA-17 anti-aircraft missiles, warning that Syria could “further destabilize the region” with its putative shipments.
Syria for its part insists the attack didn’t hit a “convoy of trucks” but rather a building related to Syrian military planning, killing two people. So far there has been no evidence either way, and Israel has refused to comment on its attack at all, beyond hinting at more to come.
Off the record, officials say the relative non-response from the US is further indication that President Obama knew of the Israeli attack ahead of time, and indeed the head of Israeli military intelligence is currently in the US for talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon-Funded Afghan Units Involved in Gross Human Rights Abuses - January 23rd, 2018
- US Claims to Kill 150 ISIS Fighters in East Syria Airstrike - January 23rd, 2018
- Pence to Attend Winter Olympics to Stop North Korea 'Hijacking' Games - January 23rd, 2018
- US Struggles With Fighting Between Turkey, Syrian Kurds, Two Key Allies - January 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Attack on Syrian Kurds - January 22nd, 2018