Obama Likely Told About Attack Ahead of Time
After official silence yesterday (apart from anonymous claims about what was hit), the White House has finally officially responded to the Israeli attack on Syria by issuing a warning to the attacked Syrian government.
Staying completely off-topic on the attack, the US instead followed up on its own reports that the attack targeted SA-17 anti-aircraft missiles, warning that Syria could “further destabilize the region” with its putative shipments.
Syria for its part insists the attack didn’t hit a “convoy of trucks” but rather a building related to Syrian military planning, killing two people. So far there has been no evidence either way, and Israel has refused to comment on its attack at all, beyond hinting at more to come.
Off the record, officials say the relative non-response from the US is further indication that President Obama knew of the Israeli attack ahead of time, and indeed the head of Israeli military intelligence is currently in the US for talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Public's Mood Turns Dark With Increased Troop Deaths - July 21st, 2014
- UN Presses Gaza Ceasefire, But No Sign Anyone Is Listening - July 21st, 2014
- Israel Shells Gaza Hospital, Adding to Humanitarian Crisis - July 21st, 2014
- Iraqi Military Kills Civilians in Air Strike Against Hawija - July 21st, 2014
- State Dept. Annoyed at Press Questioning MH17 Narrative - July 21st, 2014