Chinese State Media Urges North Korea to Stop Provoking UN
With North Korean officials centering on issuing (mostly empty) threats to the US and South Korea, China’s Global Times, the officials newspaper of the ruling Community Party, has issued a very real and much more serious threat to the North Koreans.
In an editorial, the paper cautions North Korea to stop provoking the United Nations, saying that China “will not hesitate” to reduce its aid to the North Korean government if it follows through on a pledge to test nuclear weapons.
Such a threat would always be hugely impactful, as China is virtually the nation’s only ally and trading partner. With sanctions growing and North Korea more isolated than ever the loss of China would be virtually crippling.
North Korean officials promised to test a nuclear weapons in retaliation for UN Security Council sanctions, and the past two tests by the nation, in 2006 and 2009, also came within weeks of similar UN action.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Air Force Seeks Proposals for Over $60 Billion in New Nukes - July 29th, 2016
- Airstrike Hits Maternity Hospital in Northern Syria, Killing Two - July 29th, 2016
- At Convention, Hillary Clinton Stresses Israel's Security, Not Quest for Peace - July 29th, 2016
- Former Cybersecurity Director: 'Idiots' Want to Attack Russia Over DNC Hack - July 29th, 2016
- FBI Probes Latest Hack on Clinton Campaign - July 29th, 2016