Chinese State Media Urges North Korea to Stop Provoking UN
With North Korean officials centering on issuing (mostly empty) threats to the US and South Korea, China’s Global Times, the officials newspaper of the ruling Community Party, has issued a very real and much more serious threat to the North Koreans.
In an editorial, the paper cautions North Korea to stop provoking the United Nations, saying that China “will not hesitate” to reduce its aid to the North Korean government if it follows through on a pledge to test nuclear weapons.
Such a threat would always be hugely impactful, as China is virtually the nation’s only ally and trading partner. With sanctions growing and North Korea more isolated than ever the loss of China would be virtually crippling.
North Korean officials promised to test a nuclear weapons in retaliation for UN Security Council sanctions, and the past two tests by the nation, in 2006 and 2009, also came within weeks of similar UN action.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Nearly 200 Killed in Massive ISIS Offensive Against Sinai Peninsula - July 1st, 2015
- ISIS Attacks Tel Abyad, Retaking Part of Key Syrian Border Town From Kurds - June 30th, 2015
- US Trade Bill Demands Europe End Efforts to Boycott or Sanction Israel - June 30th, 2015
- Rocket Explosion Renews Debate Over Ban on Russian Imports - June 30th, 2015
- ISIS Vows to Oust Hamas, Impose Sharia Law in Gaza - June 30th, 2015