Chinese State Media Urges North Korea to Stop Provoking UN
With North Korean officials centering on issuing (mostly empty) threats to the US and South Korea, China’s Global Times, the officials newspaper of the ruling Community Party, has issued a very real and much more serious threat to the North Koreans.
In an editorial, the paper cautions North Korea to stop provoking the United Nations, saying that China “will not hesitate” to reduce its aid to the North Korean government if it follows through on a pledge to test nuclear weapons.
Such a threat would always be hugely impactful, as China is virtually the nation’s only ally and trading partner. With sanctions growing and North Korea more isolated than ever the loss of China would be virtually crippling.
North Korean officials promised to test a nuclear weapons in retaliation for UN Security Council sanctions, and the past two tests by the nation, in 2006 and 2009, also came within weeks of similar UN action.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Canada: 'Radicalized' Driver Kills Soldier in Hit and Run - October 21st, 2014
- Sweden Ready to Use Force Against Mystery Submarine - October 21st, 2014
- ISIS Pushes Back Into Iraq's Northwest, Gains Continue in Anbar - October 21st, 2014
- Overnight Gunbattle With Police Reflects Dangerous Rise of Iraq's Shi'ite Militias - October 21st, 2014
- Kobani Battle Continues as Kurds Await Reinforcements - October 21st, 2014