Chinese State Media Urges North Korea to Stop Provoking UN
With North Korean officials centering on issuing (mostly empty) threats to the US and South Korea, China’s Global Times, the officials newspaper of the ruling Community Party, has issued a very real and much more serious threat to the North Koreans.
In an editorial, the paper cautions North Korea to stop provoking the United Nations, saying that China “will not hesitate” to reduce its aid to the North Korean government if it follows through on a pledge to test nuclear weapons.
Such a threat would always be hugely impactful, as China is virtually the nation’s only ally and trading partner. With sanctions growing and North Korea more isolated than ever the loss of China would be virtually crippling.
North Korean officials promised to test a nuclear weapons in retaliation for UN Security Council sanctions, and the past two tests by the nation, in 2006 and 2009, also came within weeks of similar UN action.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Offers Cash Rewards for Foreign Spies - November 25th, 2014
- US to Leave More Troops in Afghanistan in 2015 - November 25th, 2014
- Iran Hardliners Slam Extension of Nuclear Talks, But Khamenei Approves - November 25th, 2014
- Years of Bombings Have Iraq Changing Baghdad Security - November 25th, 2014
- Pentagon Denies US Soldier Was Among Eight Hostages Rescued in Yemen - November 25th, 2014